Trean House – Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast
Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast in Inishowen, Co. Donegal, Ireland.
Trean House Blog
Eco label and write up in Food and Wine Magazine
We were delighted to discover that we’ve been featured in an article on green places to stay in this months edition of Food & Wine Magazine Ireland. The feature focuses on properties in Ireland and abroad who take their eco responsibilities seriously.
Back in April, we were accredited with an Eco-label as part of the Green Hospitality Award scheme. We’ve always been keen to do our bit for the environment, and this accreditation will help us benchmark our environmental practices and encourage us improve on them in the future.
Things we already do to reduce our environmental impact:
- All food waste and scraps are composted and used in the garden
- Our newly installed water softener system has cut our detergent usage by more than 40%
- We recently fitted thermostats to all our bedroom radiators
- We continue to replace traditional lightbulbs with energy-saving CFLs
- All glass, tins, paper, cardboard and plastic containers are sent for recycling
- Our electricity is supplied by Airtricity, who source 24% of their total production from renewable sources
- We use logs from our own tree planting to burn in our solid-fuel stove
The article was written by the wonderful Georgina Campbell, author of Georgina Campbell’s Ireland: The Guide.
Georgina herself travels the country visiting all the establishments listed in the guide, who are selected after anonymous visits by assessors. Establishments cannot pay to enter or advertise in the guides, meaning it’s a true reflection of the best quality establishments in Ireland. The book is a must have if you are touring Ireland, you’ll find it and many other related books and phone apps here.